Thursday, December 18, 2008

Little Obama

There's a lot of consternation in the liberal community that Barack Obama isn't making the most liberal of choices as he populates his cabinet and plans his inauguration. My friend Lucia has a great article that spawned me to think:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lucia-brawley/is-there-method-to-this-r_b_152189.html

I don't think the concerns are invalid, but I think maybe people need to think differently about their relationship to the President-Elect.

Rather than thinking of him as someone you'd hired to redo your kitchen, and now you're pissed because he put in the wrong tile and scratched up your sink, I think it might be more apt to think about him as your son.

We put our everything into our children, our love, our dreams, our time, but when it is time for them to become grown-ups, we have to let them follow their own path and make their own choices, even if they cause us pain. We can (and should) let them know how we feel, but we have to support them and trust that we did our best and made the right choices in preparing them for the big show.

So feel free to let Obama know how you feel, but maybe try to have a little patience to let him live his life and do what he thinks needs to be done. If you voted for Obama, you gave him a vote of confidence. Let's keep that confidence as long as we can.

2 comments:

Erika B. said...

I'm totally in agreement with you on this one. I actually read Rick Warren's book (twice) just to know what I was dealing with and even though the man rubs me the wrong way, you can't just ignore someone because you don't like what they are saying.

Also, keep in mind that we didn't (well, I didn't) vote/elect Obama to go from one extreme to the other. Isn't the goal to find some kind of common ground and try to work from there, not spend the next four years telling certain segments of the American population that they are backwards and wrong?

Puck said...

Wow - so rational. Thank you for your intelligent commentary. Intelligence is sorely lacking in our current political climate. You made me feel warm, fuzzy and safe.

Erika B - Thank you for reading a book I can't get myself to read. Now I might just have to suck it up and read it. Knowledge is power.